OAEC is a non-profit education center in Sonoma County that works to promote ecologically and culturally resilient communities. Learn more.
Map and Directions to OAEC
Maps courtesy of Ocean Song (www.oceansong.org)
1. San Francisco or the East Bay
2. From 101 North of Santa Rosa
3. From Coast Hwy 1 coming from the South
4. From Coast Hwy 1 coming from the North
1. From San Francisco go over the Golden Gate Bridge and take 101 North. From the East Bay, take I-580 at Richmond west across the Richmond – San Rafael Bridge and turn right onto 101 North. Head North on Hwy 101, through Marin and you begin to approach Petaluma in Sonoma County.
• Take the Petaluma-East Washington Street Exit, and head West (go left over the freeway).
• Take East Washington Street through downtown Petaluma and continue on this road until you reach the tiny town of Valley Ford (roughly 20 miles away). East Washington St. will change names along the way to Washington St., to Bodega Avenue and then later to Valley Ford-Petaluma Highway.
• About one third-mile after passing through Valley Ford, take a right turn onto the Valley Ford- Freestone Rd. This will come to a “T” in about 4 miles at Hwy 12 (also called Bodega Hwy).
• Turn right at the “T”.
• Go about one and a half miles, then turn left onto Bohemian Hwy into the hamlet of Freestone.
• Go through Freestone, proceeding about five miles until you emerge from the trees into the town of Occidental.
• In the center of Occidental there is a four-way stop sign, take a left onto Coleman Valley Road.
• Go up Coleman Valley Rd. exactly one half mile. OAEC’s driveway is on the right at 15290 Coleman Valley Road.
• There is a large wooden sign with our name-- Occidental Arts and Ecology Center-- on it. (However we ask most visitors to park in our "upper parking lot" which is about 100 feet further up Coleman Valley Road from our main entrance. You may come down the main driveway for drop-offs and pick-ups or if your visit is of no more than one hour.)
2. From 101 North of Santa Rosa take 101 towards Santa Rosa. Take the Fulton Road exit. Go about a half-mile to River Road where there is a stoplight. Take a right turn onto River Road. Go about 3 miles to Olivet Road, on your left, and turn left onto Olivet. Go about 2.5 miles until you come to Guerneville Road. Turn right on Guerneville Road and go 1.5 miles until you see Frei Road on your left. Turn left onto Frei Road. After 1.5 miles you will come to a large intersection. Continue straight through the intersection. You will now be on Graton Road. Continue until Graton Road ends (about 4.2 miles). Turn left onto Bohemian Highway. Go 0.2 mile to the four-way stop sign. At the four-way stop sign in the middle of Occidental take a right turn onto Coleman Valley Road. Go one-half mile. Our driveway is a turn-off to the right at 15290 Coleman Valley Road.
3. From the Coast Route Hwy 1 coming from the South, go to the town of Valley Ford, which is just north of the town of Tomales. Just past Valley Ford (one-third mile) take a right turn onto the Valley Ford-Freestone cut-off. After about 3 miles this road will dead end into Hwy 12 (also called Bodega Hwy). Take a right turn onto Bodega Hwy. Go one and a half miles and you will see a turn to the left onto Bohemian Hwy taking you into the small town of Freestone. Go through Freestone, go approximately four miles and you will come into the town of Occidental. At the four way stop sign in the middle of town take a left turn. This puts you onto Coleman Valley Road. Go one-half mile up Coleman Valley Road. Our driveway is a turn-off to the right at 15290 Coleman Valley Road.
4. From the Coast Route Hwy 1 coming from the North, there are two ways to get to OAEC. The first would be just past the town of Jenner, take a left turn onto Hwy 116 (also called River Road), heading East towards Santa Rosa. When you come into the town of Monte Rio take a right turn just where you see the movie theatre in a large quonset hut. Go over the small bridge. Take a right turn after the bridge. This will put you on Bohemian Hwy. Go about 5 miles down Bohemian Hwy. You will come into the town of Occidental. At the center of Occidental there is a four-way stop sign. Take a right turn onto Coleman Valley Road. Go one half mile. Our driveway is a turn-off to the right at 15290 Coleman Valley Road.
The other way is "the scenic route"-- slower and hillier, but the drive along Coleman Valley Road is considered one of the most scenic in Sonoma County. After Jenner, continue on Hwy 1 further south until you pass Schoolhouse Beach. Shortly after Schoolhouse Beach on the left will be a turn-off onto Coleman Valley Road. It is sometimes a bit difficult to find the turn-off. But if you can do that, you will go about 10 miles along Coleman Valley Road and as you come down into the town of Occidental keep your eyes peeled for our turn-off to the left at 15290 Coleman Valley Road. It’s a bit hard to spot if you don't know it and coming in from the coast. If you've come into Occidental turn around and go back up one-half mile and on the right will be our driveway at 15290 Coleman Valley Road.
Parking: Guest parking is in our upper lot. Continue on Coleman Valley Rd, about 100ft beyond our main entrance, to the next driveway on the right. Park and follow the path down to our core area.
To unload your personal items, you can drive into OAEC’s main driveway (with the large OAEC sign), and park in an open space. After unloading, please move your car to the upper lot.
If you have trouble finding OAEC, call the OAEC office on weekdays (707) 874-1557. Try extension 101 (for the office staff), or extension 103 (for Philip Tymon).
Directions and Public Transit to OAEC
Occidental is off the path of convenient public transit. For those participants who are driving, a map is provided above.
OAEC is 65 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge. In light traffic the drive is approximately 90 minutes from San Francisco or the East Bay. Buses come to Occidental from Santa Rosa, and you can get bus information from Sonoma County Transit (www.sctransit.com).
We encourage and will help to facilitate carpooling, particularly among course participants. For guests flying into the Oakland or San Francisco airports, there is frequent bus service to downtown Santa Rosa (www.airportexpressinc.com). The trip takes about two hours. You can take a bus or taxi from Santa Rosa, or we can try to arrange for a pick-up.
Horizon Air currently provides commercial airline service into the Sonoma County airport. We can try to facilitiate carpooling from the airport. You can also take a Sonoma County Transit bus (www.sctransit.com) to Santa Rosa and then to Occidental, but this will likely take a few hours. Car rental is also available at the airport.
Taxicabs to and from Santa Rosa/Rohnert Park/Petaluma & Occidental
Yellow Cab (707-544-4444)
- Cost OAEC to/from Days Inn and Holiday Inn, Santa Rosa: $30-35 one way.
- Cost OAEC to/from Sonoma County Airport, Santa Rosa: $35-40 one way.
- Cost OAEC to/from Rohnert Park: $45 one way.
- Cost OAEC to/from Petaluma: $65 one way.
- Cost OAEC to/from Days Inn and Holiday Inn, Santa Rosa: $35-$43 one way.
- Cost OAEC to/from Sonoma County Airport, Santa Rosa: $45 one way.
- Cost OAEC to/from Rohnert Park: $50 one way